St. Joseph's Day Baked Redfish
Write a review
- 1 whole (5-pound) redfish, scaled, cleaned, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced,divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup thinly sliced green bell pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Score both sides of fish by making 3 or 4 vertical slices on each side, from fin to belly. Season fish, inside and out, with 1½ teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Place half of lemon slices inside fish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and cook about 6 minutes or until soft. Stir in tomatoes, wine, oregano, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook about 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Into a nonreactive baking dish, pour tomato sauce; place fish on sauce, and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake about 40 minutes or until fish is opaque and cooked through.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer fish to a serving platter, and garnish with remaining lemon slices. Serve with additional lemon wedges, if desired.
Adapted from Mama’s Kitchen: Three Generations of Italian-Creole Home Cookin’ in New Orleans
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/