This simple yet satisfying recipe lets the berries’ sweet flavor shine. Ground black pepper adds a subtle bit of spice while fresh lemon zest and white balsamic vinegar bring balance and brightness.
Strawberries and Dumplings
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups hulled and halved fresh strawberries
- 1½ tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup whole buttermilk, chilled
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- Garnish: lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; place dish on prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Add strawberries, vinegar, zest, and vanilla; toss until well combined. Spoon strawberry mixture into prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in cold buttermilk just until
- Bake strawberry mixture for 10 minutes; remove from oven, and stir. Using a ¼ cup scoop, drop dough over fruit, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until tops of biscuits are golden brown and fruit is bubbly, 35 to 40 minutes more. Let stand for 20 minutes. Garnish with zest, if desired.