A fresh take on a traditional favorite. This Strawberries and Cream King Cake is a must-try.
King Cake Dough
Makes dough for 1 king cake
- 1½ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ⅓ cup plus ½ teaspoon sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup warm water (105° to 110°)
- ½ cup plain sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ⅓ cup warm water. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 7 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, vanilla, eggs, and egg yolk. Add to yeast mixture. Beat at low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
- With mixer off, add flour, salt, and remaining ⅓ cup sugar. Beat at medium-low speed until most of dry ingredients are moistened. Increase mixer speed to medium; beat for 2 minutes. Add butter; beat until combined, about 2 minutes. Scrape out dough onto a lightly floured surface (dough will be sticky), and gently knead 4 or 5 times.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Continue with king cake recipes that follow.
To prevent dough from spreading inward, place a ball of foil coated with baking spray with flour in the center of the dough circle before baking.
Strawberries and Cream King Cake
Makes about 12 servings
- King Cake Dough
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- ½ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: sliced fresh strawberries, chopped white chocolate
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Punch King Cake Dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 17x16-inch rectangle.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Beat in egg. Spread in a thin layer over dough. Sprinkle strawberries over cream cheese mixture.
- Starting with one short side, roll up dough, and pinch seams to seal. Gently place on prepared pan, seam side down. Form a ring, and pinch ends together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Uncover cake. Using kitchen scissors, make 7 (¼-inch) deep cuts in top of dough. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes, lightly covering with foil during last 5 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Transfer to a serving platter.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate and cream. Microwave on medium until chocolate is almost melted, about 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate is melted. Add confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Spoon over cake. Garnish with strawberries and white chocolate, if desired.