This colorful side dish brings the best of summer to your table in under 30 minutes.
Summer Okra and Tomatoes
Yields: 6 servings
- ½ pound okra, halved lengthwise
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, quartered
- 2 clusters tomatoes on the vine
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, thyme, and oregano)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh herbs
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat on a grill. Working in batches, add okra in a single layer; cook, without stirring, until charred. Transfer to a serving platter, and set aside. Brush onion with 1 tablespoon oil, and add onion and sliced garlic to pan; cook until lightly charred. Transfer to serving platter. Place heirloom tomatoes on grill, and cook until charred; place on serving platter. Add tomatoes on the vine, and cook until charred; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together herbs, lime zest and juice, vinegar, grated garlic, salt, red pepper, and remaining ⅓ cup oil. Toss with okra, onion, and heirloom tomatoes. Serve with grilled tomatoes on the vine. Garnish with herbs, if desired.