This Sweet Potato and Tasso Soup is a savory treat on chilly evenings.
Sweet Potato and Tasso Soup
Write a review
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 4½ cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
- ½ pound tasso ham, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Ground black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook until softened, about 7 minutes. Add flour, and cook 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken broth and sweet potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potato is tender, about 20 minutes.
- In the container of a blender, add sweet potato mixture in batches. Remove center part of blender lid to allow steam to escape; secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in lid to avoid spills. Process until soup is smooth; return to Dutch oven.
- Add tasso, cinnamon, nutmeg, and parsley. Bring soup to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional parsley, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
Please explain “Tasso “
Tasso is pork shoulder that has been smoked and spiced. It is often used to flavor gumbos, jambalayas, and more.