This Sweet Potato Gnocchi won the Student category prize in the 2014 Louisiana Yam Recipe Contest, sponsored by the Louisiana Sweet Potato Commission
Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Balsamic Sage Brown Butter
Write a review
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
- 1 small russet potato (about ½ pound)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ teaspoons salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 to 12 fresh sage leaves
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: shaved Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop potato flesh into ricer, and process over a large bowl. Add Parmesan, honey, egg, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough comes together.
- On a well-floured surface, roll dough into 1-inch diameter logs, and cut into 1-inch pieces. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add dough and cook until gnocchi float, about 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add sage leaves, and cook until crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove sage and set aside. Add shallot, red onion, and garlic, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add gnocchi, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Serve with reserved crispy sage leaves and shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
The 2014 Louisiana Yam Recipe Contest Winners