Crispy, fluffy, and studded with tasso, these hush puppies are a must-try at your next fish fry.
Tasso Hush Puppies
Makes about 20
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- ½ cup finely chopped tasso
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, green onion, tasso, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture just until combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches and using a 2-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, carefully drop batter into hot oil. Fry, turning frequently, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully remove hush puppies using a slotted spoon, and let drain on a wire rack. Serve warm.