We used Wick Fowler’s 2 Alarm Chili Kit and boneless chuck roast to make a hearty, Texas-style chili that’s packed with true Texas flavors. Make it ahead of the busy week with just the amount of spices your family likes, let the flavors deepen and serve it up fast to feed your hungry crew on weeknights or game days.
True Texas Chili
Makes 5 Cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (3.3-ounce) package Wick Fowler’s® 2-Alarm Chili Kit
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, lime wedges and jalapeño slices, to serve
- HEAT oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add roast and cook, stirring once, for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove roast using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- ADD onion and bell pepper to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Return roast to pot. Add 2 cups water, tomato sauce and chili pepper seasoning packet, onion and garlic seasoning packet, cumin and oregano seasoning packet, and paprika seasoning packet from chili kit. Add red pepper packet from chili kit, as desired, for heat. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- MIX masa packet from chili kit and ¼ cup warm water in a bowl. Stir masa mixture and vinegar into chili mixture. Cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 45 minutes.
- SERVE with cheese, sour cream, lime wedges and jalapeño.