Vanilla Satsumacello is a Louisiana take on a classic Italian liqueur.
Notes of vanilla add character to this Louisiana take on the classic Italian liqueur.
Write a review
- 10 satsumas
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle 125-proof vodka, such as Atelier Vie Buck 25
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 (2-inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved
- Garnish: satsuma peel
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove peel from satsumas, making sure no pith remains. In a large glass container, combine peel and vodka. Cover, and let stand in a cool, dark place for 5 days, shaking mixture daily.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool completely. Add sugar mixture and reserved vanilla bean and seeds to vodka mixture. Seal, and let stand 4 weeks.
- Strain through a fine-mesh strainer before serving. Serve well chilled. Garnish with satsuma peel, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/