This flavorful curry chicken won the Main Dish category in the 2013 Sweet Rewards Recipe Contest.
Vietnamese Curry Chicken
Lemongrass and curry powder bring chicken and Louisiana sweet potatoes to life.
Write a review
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, peeled and quartered
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooked long-grain white rice
- Garnish: fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven, add oil and heat over high heat. Cook chicken thighs until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth or water, coconut milk, lemongrass, bay leaves, curry, red pepper, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add sweet potato, carrot, and reserved chicken. Cook, uncovered, until sweet potato and carrot are tender and the liquid is reduced by half, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, and serve warm with rice.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/