This flaky, snowy treat is so easy to make. You can use any fruit that’s in season, but watermelon is our go-to during the summer.
- 6 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- Watermelon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: lime zest
- In the container of a blender, add chopped watermelon, sugar, lime juice, salt, and cayenne, and blend until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a 13×9-inch freezer-safe baking dish, discarding solids. Stir in zest. Freeze until edges begin to set, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape mixture to break up frozen pieces. Freeze until mixture resembles fluffy shaved ice, about 4 hours, scraping to break up frozen pieces every 30 minutes. Serve in sugar-rimmed glasses with watermelon wedges. Garnish with zest, if desired.