Butternut squash and fresh herbs add wonderful flavor to this Winter Farro.
Write a review
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) package farro
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, combine squash, canola oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Spread evenly on prepared pan. Bake until tender, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat; add onion and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Stir in farro. Stir in 4 cups water; increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until farro is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in squash, kale, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, vinegar, thyme, and parsley. Serve immediately.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/