Try this fun recipe for Alligator Chili Frito Pie at your next party.
Alligator Chili Frito Pie
Write a review
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 pounds ground alligator meat
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons diced garlic
- 4 tablespoons diced jalapeño
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 6 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 15 (3-ounce) bags corn chips
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, minced red onions, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeño peppers
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add alligator and beef; sauté 20 minutes to render juices. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeno. Sauté until vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, and broth; bring to a low boil. Reduce heat, and simmer.
- Add chili powder and cumin, and stir well; cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Once alligator is tender, season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cut open corn chip bags, and ladle the chili into the bags. Garnish with cheese, onions, and jalapeño, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/