This bread pudding will turn heads and leave taste buds tingling any time of year.
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding
Recipe type: Recipe courtesy of Holly Schreiber, Saint Terre, Benton
Makes 8 to 10 Servings
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 10 ounces cubed Hawaiian rolls (about 6 cups)
- 10 ounces cubed croissants (about 7 cups)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon spiced rum, divided
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a saucepan, whisk together cream, 1 cup milk, granulated sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Heat over medium-high heat just until bubbles form around edges of pan. (Do not boil.) Turn off heat, and add white chocolate chips and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and eggs until pale yellow and combined. Slowly add warm cream mixture, whisking until combined.
- In a 13×9-inch baking dish, place all bread cubes. Pour warm cream mixture over bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Bake until center is firm and top is browned, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbly, about 2 minutes. Add bananas, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ¼ cup rum, and if desired, flambé. Once the flames have died down, turn off heat, and mash bananas just a bit until they are chunky. Set aside. (If you choose not to flambé the mixture, cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons milk, remaining 1 tablespoon rum, and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth.
- Pour banana mixture over top of bread pudding, and drizzle with rum sauce. Serve with coffee.
Serve with French Market Coffee Ground Coffee & Chicory