With Brandy Glaze and a nutmeg-infused custard filling, these hand pies have the classic flavors of brandy milk punch.
Brandy Milk Punch Hand Pies
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 3½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt, divided
- Classic Pie Dough (recipe follows)
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Brandy Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Mardi Gras sprinkles
Classic Pie Dough
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup ice water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brandy
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until steaming. (Do not boil.)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg, egg yolks, granulated sugar, cornstarch, flour, nutmeg, and ½ teaspoon salt. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until bubbly and very thick, 2 to 6 minutes. Strain through prepared sieve. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap, pressing wrap directly onto surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool completely.
- Roll half of Classic Pie Dough into a 12x10½-inch rectangle (about ⅛ inchthick). Trim ¼ inch off edges, and cutinto 9 (3⅞x3⅜-inch) rectangles. Repeat with remaining Classic Pie Dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 egg and remaining pinch salt; set aside.
- Fill 9 rectangles with 1½ tablespoons of custard each. Lightly brush egg wash around edges. Cover with remaining rectangles. Crimp edges with a fork, and trim any uneven sides. Using the tip of a sharp paring knife, score a small “X” in top of each pie, about ½ inch wide. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly brush frozen pies with egg wash, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Spoon Brandy Glaze onto cooled pies, and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
Classic Pie Dough
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt. Add cold butter, tossing to coat with flour mixture. Using your hands, press butter into small flat pieces about the size of almonds or smaller, or cut in butter using a pastry blender.
- In a measuring cup, stir together ¾ cup ice water and vinegar. Add 6 tablespoons vinegar mixture to flour mixture. Using fingers or a fork, toss together until a dough starts to form. Add remaining vinegar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, until a shaggy dough forms and holds together when squeezed.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few times just until dough holds together. Divide in half, and shape into 2 disks. Wrap each disk tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.