The Krewe of Zulu’s signature coconut throws inspired these Coconut Hand Pies.
Coconut Hand Pies
Write a review
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 4 to 8 tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate morsels
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time, just until dough comes together (there may be water left over). Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface. Divide in half, and shape into two disks. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, cook milk and extracts over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Remove from heat. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, salt, cornstarch, and remaining ½ cup sugar. Add about ½ cup hot milk mixture to eggs, whisking constantly. Add egg mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, whisking to combine. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding solids. Return mixture to pan, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and coconut. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a (3-inch) round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps to use all dough. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling onto one side of all dough rounds. Brush edges of dough with beaten egg, and fold dough over, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to prepared pans, and cut slits in top of each pie. Brush tops with egg, and bake until golden brown, about 22 minutes.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1½ minutes total). Using the back of a spoon, drizzle chocolate over cooled pies and serve.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/