Pork rinds add a salty pop in this recipe for Cracklin’ Cornbread.
Write a review
- 1 (3.5-ounce) bag pork cracklin’ strips
- 5 tablespoons bacon drippings, melted and divided
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 1 ear)
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeño, chopped
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/3 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a food processor, pulse cracklins until chopped.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Add corn, bell pepper, and jalapeño; cook 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add buttermilk, eggs, and 2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Stir in cracklins and corn mixture.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to pan. Place in oven until hot, about 4 minutes. Carefully spoon batter into hot pan. Bake about 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/