This hearty side starts with our tender Buttermilk Cornbread and features spicy Louisiana crawfish tails.
Crawfish Cornbread Dressing
Makes 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 10 cups 1-inch-cubed Buttermilk Cornbread (recipe follows)
- 1 pound crawfish tails, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups whole buttermilk
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, place Buttermilk Cornbread; crumble half of cubes. Stir in onion mixture, crawfish, broth, eggs, poultry seasoning, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Spoon into prepared pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes more. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs. Pour buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture; stir just until combined. Pour mixture into hot skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Invert cornbread onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 20 minutes.