These Creole Cream Cheese Crepes with Strawberry Compote are as delicious as they are beautiful.
Creole Cream Cheese Crepes with Strawberry Compote
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 (8-ounce) package Creole cream cheese,* softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Vanilla Crêpes, recipe follows
- Strawberry Compote, recipe follows
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, fresh strawberries, pomegranate seeds, and fresh mint
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add crème fraîche, and beat to combine. Add liqueur, sugar, vanilla, and zest. Beat until smooth and creamy. Cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Place about 2½ to 3 tablespoons cream cheese mixture onto edge of Vanilla crêpe, at least 2-inches from border. Roll crêpe burrito-style, and place seam side down into prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining crêpes and filling.
- Bake until warmed through, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve warm with Strawberry Compote. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, fresh strawberries, pomegranate seeds, and mint, if desired.
*If Creole cream cheese is not available, substitute 8 ounces cream cheese.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2¼ cups half-and-half
- 9 large eggs, at room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In the container of a blender, combine flour, sugar, salt, half-and-half, eggs, and vanilla; pulse until combined. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl. Cover, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick pan over medium heat. Pour about ¼ cup batter into pan and quickly swirl to coat the bottom of pan. Cook until top of crêpe begins to appear dry, about 1 to 11/2 minutes. Using an offset spatula, gently flip crêpe, and cook other side until done, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. Store crepes between layers of parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- 1½ (16-ounce) containers strawberries, chopped and divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a medium saucepan, combine all but 11/2 cups strawberries, sugar, liqueur, and vanilla. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch, until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to strawberries, and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Add remaining 1½ cups strawberries, and stir to combine. Cover, and refrigerate up to 3 days.