When it comes to New Orleans comfort food, Creole Red Beans and Rice is hard to beat. It’s hearty and satisfying, full of vitamins and minerals, and has a uniquely Louisiana flavor profile. Studded with salty, smoky hunks of smoked sausage, these Creole Red Beans will become a new family favorite. Camellia Brand Creole Red Beans Mix makes it even easier to enjoy this traditional Crescent City dish any night of the week.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1¾ cups)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1¼ cups)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (about ⅔ cup)
- 12 ounces andouille sausage (see note)
- 6 cups water
- 1 (18-ounce) package Camellia Creole Red Beans Mix, beans rinsed and sorted
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: chopped green onion
- In a large heavy stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook for 3 minutes. Add sausage, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add 6 cups water, beans, and contents of spice packet. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until beans are soft, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours. Add more water as necessary to obtain desired consistency. For a smoother consistency, use the back of a spoon to mash some of the beans against the side of the pot.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with chopped green onion, if desired.
Adapted from Camellia Brand