Crispy, crunchy, tender, and flaky fried catfish is always a crowd-pleasing dish.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 6 (6-ounce) catfish fillets
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups plain stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: kosher salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk and hot sauce. Add catfish, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches. Heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together cornmeal and Creole seasoning.
- Remove catfish from bowl, letting excess drip off; discard marinade. Dredge catfish in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Working in batches, fry catfish until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Let drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with salt, if desired.