Frozen Lemon Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, divided
- 3 large pasteurized egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Garnish: grated lemon zest
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs in bottom and up sides of prepared plate.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy; add cream of tartar, and beat to combine. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Fold in lemon zest and juice.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a mixer at high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gently fold into egg white mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into egg white mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. Remove pie from freezer 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Top with strawberries. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
You may have a few other local citrus options for this Frozen Lemon Pie. If grapefruit, pomelo, or Meyer lemon are available, give the juice a try in this creamy, dreamy pie.