Frozen Lemon Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, divided
- 3 large pasteurized egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Garnish: grated lemon zest
- Spray a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray. Sprinkle ¼ cup graham cracker crumbs in bottom and up sides of prepared plate.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy; add cream of tartar, and beat to combine. Gradually add ½ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. Fold in lemon zest and juice.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks with a mixer at high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gently fold into egg white mixture.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into egg white mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs. Cover and freeze overnight.
- In a medium bowl, combine strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar; let stand for 15 minutes. Remove pie from freezer 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Top with strawberries. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
You may have a few other local citrus options for this Frozen Lemon Pie. If grapefruit, pomelo, or Meyer lemon are available, give the juice a try in this creamy, dreamy pie.
Thanks fir sharing great recipes
Are not uncooked eggs problematic for people with compromised immune systems?
This recipe calls for pasteurized eggs, which have been treated to destroy Salmonella. While cooking an egg is always the safest route, using pasteurized eggs in recipes that called for uncooked eggs (such as Caesar dressing or mousse) is recommended.
This was good – could have been more lemon flavor. What we did not like was the texture of the pie – it was very “icy” not creamy from the freezer even letting it sit for 10 minutes which is why I am giving it 3 stars – probably won’t make again.