This festive treat bakes in just 20 minutes for easy entertaining and looks just as impressive as the classic.
“Last Minute” King Cake
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 (8-ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dough sheets
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup strawberry preserves
- Garnish: colored sanding sugar, confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, place dough sheets one on top of the other. Roll into an 18x11-inch rectangle.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add zest, egg yolk, and vanilla, beating to combine. Add confectioners’ sugar and salt, and beat at low speed until well combined. Spread cream cheese mixture onto dough. Dollop strawberry preserves on top of cream cheese mixture, and swirl until preserves are evenly spread.
- Starting on one long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style, pressing edge to seal. Place log, seam side down, on a work surface. Using a bench scraper or a sharp knife, cut log in half lengthwise. Place cut sides up, and gently twist two pieces around each other. Carefully place on prepared pan, and form into a circle, pinching ends to seal.
- Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking. Let cool completely on pan. Garnish with sanding sugar and confectioners’ sugar, if desired.