These Muffuletta Po’ boys are the perfect parade route sandwich.
Muffuletta Po’ boys
- 1 (16-inch) loaf French bread, halved
- Olive Salad (recipe follows)
- ¼ pound mortadella, thinly sliced
- ¼ pound dry Italian salami,* thinly sliced
- ¼ pound capicola, thinly sliced
- ⅓ pound sharp provolone, thinly sliced
- Scoop out the interior of the bottom half of bread. Spread Olive Salad along bottom layer of bread. Layer ⅓ of mortadella, ⅓ of salami, ⅓ of capicola, and ⅓ of provolone. Repeat layers, and top with remaining Olive Salad; cover with top half of bread. Wrap in aluminum foil, and place between two heavy cutting boards. Place a heavy weight on top, and press firmly to flatten. Refrigerate at least 3 hours. Unwrap, and cut into 8 pieces.
*We used soppresatta.
Calories: 2062 Fat: 86g Saturated fat: 41g Unsaturated fat: 39g Carbohydrates: 213g Sugar: 10g Sodium: 5810mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 108g Cholesterol: 194mg
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 cup green olives with pimentos, finely chopped
- 4 pepperoncini peppers, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 (8-oz) jar giardiniera, finely chopped
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine olives, pepperoncini, giardiniera, red pepper, garlic, oregano, capers, crushed red pepper, and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Calories: 1257 Fat: 127g Saturated fat: 18g Unsaturated fat: 105g Carbohydrates: 36g Sugar: 10g Sodium: 2733mg Fiber: 11g Protein: 7g