Old-Time Hush Puppies
Makes about 15
- ⅔ cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- ⅓ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Creole Ranch Dip (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add green onion, buttermilk, egg, thyme, onion, celery, and bell pepper, stirring just until combined.
- In a large skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1 to 1½ inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 365°. Using a 1-tablespoon spring-loaded scoop, gently drop batter into oil, and fry until golden brown, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Turn hush puppies, and fry until golden brown on all sides, about 1 minute more. Remove from skillet, and let drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Creole Ranch Dip.
Creole Ranch Dip
Makes about ½ cup
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ranch dressing and Creole seasoning until combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Find more perfect sides for your catfish fry in our March/April 2018 issue of Louisiana Cookin’.