“I remember, years ago, Mama and I motoring to Ponchatoula (a two-hour drive) to pick up a flat of the bright red, luscious strawberries. Mama wanted to make a tart, and I voted to bake Pecan Pavlovas in which to pat the berries. I sometimes crossed my fingers that we would have enough to make a couple of pints of my favorite—strawberry jam.”—Marcelle Bienvenu
Pecan Pavlovas With Strawberries
An attractive and delicious dessert.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1½ cups chopped strawberries
- Garnish: fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 275°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until frothy. Gradually add ¾ cup sugar while beating. Continue beating until mixture is glossy and stiff peaks form. Gently fold in pecans.
- Drop meringue by spoonfuls into 6 mounds on prepared baking sheet. Use the back of a metal spoon to shape meringues, forming a well in the center, and building up the sides.
- Bake until meringues are lightly browned, about 1 hour. Turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven until completely cooled, about 2 hours. Remove from baking sheet, and place on serving plates.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and remaining ¼ cup sugar, stirring to combine. Fill each meringue with about ¼ cup berries. Garnish with fresh mint, and serve immediately.
*Meringues can be made ahead and frozen up to 6 weeks.
Delish -think I’d also fill with lemon curd and blue or raspberry for change