Quick Oyster Soup
Whip up this Oyster Soup on a moment's notice.
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 4 cups warm whole milk (110° to 120°)
- 48 freshly shucked oysters, liquid reserved*
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped green onion and celery leaves
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until a light brown roux forms, about 3 minutes. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and reserved oyster liquor. Reduce heat to medium. Gradually add milk mixture to onion mixture, stirring constantly. Mixture will thicken slightly. Bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add oysters, parsley, butter, salt, and pepper. Simmer mixture until oyster edges begin to curl, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Garnish with green onion and celery leaves, if desired. Serve warm with oyster crackers or French bread, if desired.
- * 4 (8-ounce) cans oysters, liquid drained and reserved may be substituted for the freshly shucked oysters
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/