Red Beans and Rice is a classic New Orleans dish that is traditionally eaten on Mondays.
Red Beans and Rice
Write a review
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced ¼-inch-thick
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 pound dried red kidney beans, soaked according to package directions, soaking liquid reserved
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 dried chile peppers
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 4 cups cooked brown jasmine rice, such as Cajun Grain Rice
- Garnish: chopped green onions and parsley
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned; remove and set aside.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; add celery and bell peppers, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Pour soaked beans and 3 cups reserved soaking liquid into Dutch oven. Add bay leaves, dried peppers, salt, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, pepper, and sage.
- Simmer until beans are soft, about 1 hour. Remove 1 cup beans. Using a fork, mash beans, and return to pot. Add reserved andouille, parsley, and green onion; simmer for 15 minutes. Serve over rice with French bread, if desired. Garnish with chopped green onion and chopped parsley, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/