Shortcakes with Grilled Peaches
Write a review
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- ¾ cup honey
- 4 slices peeled fresh ginger
- 4 medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 6 wedges each
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and granulated sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, grated ginger, and egg. Gradually add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 5 or 6 times. Roll dough to ½-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pan. Brush top of dough with cream, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 14 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey and peeled ginger; cook over low heat until warm, about 10 minutes. Discard ginger.
- Spray grill rack with nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°). In a large bowl, toss peaches with oil. Place on grill rack, and cook until peaches are just heated through and grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve shortcakes with grilled peaches, honey, and whipped cream.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/