Red Beans and Rice are a classic dish served on Mondays in New Orleans. Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice make this traditional dish even easier.
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
An easy and delicious Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice.
- 1 pound dry red kidney beans
- 12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced in ¼-inch rounds
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound tasso ham, sliced into 1 x ¼-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Hot cooked jasmine rice
- Garnish: chopped parsley
- In a 4-quart container, soak red beans in 12 cups water; leave uncovered overnight. After soaking, discard soaking water, and rinse beans with fresh water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove sausage from pan, and set aside. Deglaze skillet with 2 tablespoons chicken broth, add onion, and cook until softened and beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes. Add celery and bell peppers to skillet, and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add garlic, remaining broth, tasso, brown sugar, bay leaves, salt, hot sauce, black pepper, Cajun seasoning, sage, chipotle pepper, cayenne pepper, reserved beans, and cooked sausage, stirring to combine.
- Cover, and cook on high until beans are softened and cooked through, 3 to 4 hours.
- Add chopped parsley and green onion to red bean mixture. Serve over rice. Garnish with additional parsley, if desired.