This Sweet Potato and Conecuh Sausage Au Gratin makes a fantastic holiday side.
Sweet Potato & Conecuh Sausage Au Gratin
Write a review
- 1 pound Conecuh sausage, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 fresh sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Paprika to taste
- Preheat oven 375°.
- In a large skillet, add sausage and cook over medium heat until beginning to brown. Add onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender. Drain on paper towels.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat. Add milk, and stir until incorporated. Bring to a boil over high heat, and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in 11/2 cups cheese until melted; add reserved sausage mixture. Spread potato in a 2-quart baking dish, pour cheese sauce over potatoes. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and remaining 1/2 cup cheese; sprinkle bread crumb mixture over potatoes, and top with paprika. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/