Our recipe for Sweet Potato Soufflés is an impressive side dish that can and should be made at home.
Sweet Potato Soufflés with Thyme Whipped Cream
Yields: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1½ tablespoons plus 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh challah bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons cane syrup
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Using a pastry brush, grease insides of 6 (4-ounce) ramekins with 1 tablespoon butter, using vertical strokes up sides. Place 1 teaspoon sugar in each ramekin, turning to coat and shaking out excess. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk cream until soft peaks form; stir in thyme. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap potatoes in foil, and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel sweet potatoes, and place in the work bowl of a food processor; process until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup sweet potato purée, bread crumbs, cane syrup, pumpkin pie spice, salt, cardamom, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; cook until butter is melted, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1½ tablespoons sugar, and beat until medium peaks form.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato mixture and one-third of beaten egg whites. Gently fold in remaining egg whites in two additions. Divide batter among prepared ramekins (about ½ cup each).
- Bake in lower-third of oven until soufflés have risen, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately with thyme whipped cream.