Tarte à la Bouille
Write a review
- 4 ⅓ cups whole milk, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 4 cups milk, egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, and ½ cup flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in ¼ cup butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spoon mixture into a medium glass bowl, and press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto surface of custard. Let stand until cool.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar and remaining ¼ cup butter with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add baking powder, salt, remaining 2 cups flour, remaining ⅓ cup milk, and remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, beating until smooth. Divide dough in half, and shape each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with butter.
- Roll each half of dough into a 12-inch circle, reserving scraps. Transfer one-half of dough to prepared pie plate, pressing into bottom and up sides. Spoon custard into crust. Top with remaining half of dough, and press edges to seal. Trim edges of dough. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough scraps into a disk, and roll to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 1-inch leaf cutter, cut out leaf shapes. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush edges of crust with egg mixture, and adhere leaves around crust. Brush top of dough with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, covering with foil after 20 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely. In a small bowl, toss together strawberries and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Top each serving with strawberries, and garnish with mint, if desired.
Louisiana Cookin https://www.louisianacookin.com/
I love la tarte la boui