This Tomato Salad with Pecan Pesto is a delicious, no-cook way to experience summer’s best flavors.
Tomato Salad with Pecan Pesto
Yields: 6 servings
- 5 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pecan Pesto (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, toss together tomatoes, onion, parsley, oil, lime juice, oregano, salt, and pepper. Serve with Pecan Pesto.
Yields: 6 to 8 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1½ cups loosely packed fresh basil
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ to ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place garlic; pulse for a few seconds until minced. Add basil, and pulse until finely chopped, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Add pecans, cheese, lemon juice, salt, and pepper; pulse until combined.
- With processor running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Continue adding oil, 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. (The more oil you add, the thinner the consistency will be.) Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.